International travel is great, but the price tag that comes along with it can be a bit exorbitant. International airfare isn’t cheap, and with all of the precautions and preparations you need to take, it can be a bit overwhelming on top of expensive. This year, instead of visiting a different country, why not explore some of the sites and areas right here in the United States that you’ve probably never seen in person. Make your travel goals for 2017 to be exploring your own backyard, and plan a trip to see (at least) one of these amazing destinations this year!
- Asheville, North Carolina
- This small Southern city tops Lonely Planet’s list of US destinations to see in 2017, and for good reason. This charming destination is located in the southeast corner of the Appalachian Mountains, making it a prime location to bring together old traditions and modern advancements. Its River Arts District is an artist haven, and the city sports quite the local foodie and microbrewery scene.
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming
- If seeing a total solar eclipse in person is something you’ve got on your bucket list, then start making plans to travel out West this August. For the first time in nearly 40 years, there will be a solar eclipse that can be seen within the continental United States; it will follow a trajectory from the Northwestern U.S. to the Southeastern U.S. with Jackson Hole being the prime location to see it unobstructed and out in nature.
- Denver, Colorado
- If you’re a skier, there’s still a few weeks left to take advantage of Denver’s Amtrak Winter Park Express rail service that runs between Denver and Winter Park, dropping Denver tourists off right at the ski slopes. This particular path of travel was opened in 1940 and ran until it was shut down in 2009; it was reopened this year and is running between January 7 and March 26.
- Lincoln, Nebraska
- Before visiting this state capitol city, you first have to abandon all of your preconceived notions about the midwest. Lincoln is a thriving college town that boasts eclectic galleries and unique boutiques. Its food culture is also on the rise with notable restaurants like Bread & Cup and Zipline Brewing Co. offering patrons a refreshingly new twist on nightlife and dining.
This beautiful country has so much to offer and so many untapped treasures of which I’ve only highlighted a few. Make it a goal this year to expand your horizons and visit new and exciting places right here in America.