It’s important to take care of your body, but sometimes it can be difficult to tell if you’re doing a good enough job. Sometimes things like stress or illness can get in the way even if we are taking care of our bodies and cause something to go wrong. Luckily, your body is pretty good at letting you know if something’s wrong or needs to be changed. Keep a lookout for these warning signs that your body is in need of a little extra rest and TLC.
- You’re having difficulty concentrating. If you’re finding that it’s difficult to concentrate, it could be because your body needs nutrients or to rehydrate. Try drinking a glass of water and regrouping to see if that helps your focus improve.
- You’re having an acne flareup. Acne might seem like a problem reserved exclusively for teens, but acne flare ups in adulthood are generally a sign of being under stress. When you’re stressed out, it causes a hormone fluctuation that can increase the amount of oil on your skin which in turn causes acne to form or get worse.
- You’re getting sick, and it’s happening often. Stress is a naturally occurring bodily reaction that happens to everyone and can actually be quite good for you. That being said, stress is not something your body is meant to undergo long-term. Experiencing a prolonged period of stress in your life can weaken your immune system and lead to you getting sick more easily and more often. If this is happening to you, it’s a sign that you need to remove some stressors from your life and maybe take some vitamins to help your immune system get back to normal.
- You’re experiencing headaches and migraines. Headaches happen every so often, but if you’re starting to experience them on a regular basis — or you’re experiencing headaches’ ugly, throbbing cousin, migraines — then it’s a sign that something’s not right. While headaches can be caused by certain foods, drinks, or external stimuli, chronic headaches are usually indicative of stress or hormonal changes that can be caused by stress.
- You’re having difficulty sleeping. Whether it’s trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or sleeping soundly, having issues with sleep, especially chronic ones, can be indicative of a greater underlying problem. Since sleep can help boost your immune system, not getting enough sleep can lead to you getting sick more easily.
- You notice your hair is starting to fall out. A prolonged increase in stress in your body can cause hair follicles to fall out more easily and often than usual. Major stress can lead to what is known as alopecia areata, a syndrome that causes patches of balding, which is treatable but requires time for your hair to grow back. Signs like this are major warning signs from your body that you need to take better care of yourself.